Hey all! So recently, I was invited to a “cookie exchange” party and am super excited to share a not-so-ordinary cookie with the guests. After searching high and low for what cookie to bake for the party, I decided on yummy Lemon Buttercream Stuffed Pizzelles. I just did a trial run of the recipe (of course I wanted to try them before serving them to guests 😉 and am so pleased with the results. I wanted to share the recipe with all of you as well! If you haven’t done so already, be sure to subscribe to my email list on the side of this page and I will email you a printable of this recipe in case you wanted to try them for yourself. You WON’T be disappointed!
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy for more information.
What You Will Need to Make Lemon Buttercream Stuffed Pizzelles
First and foremost, in order to make the pizzelle cookie shells you will need a Pizzelle Maker! I purchased a Cuisinart Pizzelle Press and am pleasantly surprised with how easy it is to use. The press included a wooden rod for rolling the pizzelles, which also came in handy for this recipe. You will also need something to stuff the cookies with the Lemon Buttercream icing, and instead of a piping bag I decided to purchase this cookie decorating/piping gadget, the Wilton Dessert Decorator ULTRA, that is SO easy to use. Love it! Of course, a standard piping bag would also work, so whatever you prefer will ultimately give you the same delicious cookie result. In case you are interested in either, I added shopping links to bottom of the post as well 😉
For the cookie ingredients, you will need the following (yields approximately 3 dozen stuffed Pizzelles):
- 5 large eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 oz. margarine
- 2 oz. unsalted butter
- 1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp. Vanilla extract
Buttercream Icing ingredients:
- 4 cups powdered/confectioners sugar
- 1 cup (2 sticks) softened butter
- 2-3 tsp. Lemon Extract (depending on how strong you prefer the lemon flavor)
- 2 Tbsp. of milk
- Yellow food coloring (optional)
How to Prepare the Pizzelle Shells to be Stuffed
- Combine butter and margarine in a small bowl and melt in microwave. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl (I use an electric stand mixer for even mixing as I add the ingredients), add the sugar and eggs and mix on high for 5 minutes.
- Add the melted and cooled butter and margarine and mix for another minute.
- Add flour and Vanilla and mix on low until all ingredients are completely combined.
- Preheat your Pizzelle Press. Pour some batter with a small scoop (I used the one that came with the Cuisinart Pizzelle Press) onto the pizzelle maker and bake for approximately 1 minute, or until “ready” light turns green if your Press has the option.
- Remove the Pizzelles from the Press and roll them around a wooden dowel or similar item while hot and place them rolled seam down to cool and harden. NOTE: Be sure to roll hot, as the Pizzelles get brittle and harden fairly quickly as they start to cool. Once cooled, they will maintain their rolled shape.
Preparing the Lemon Buttercream Filling and Stuffing the Pizzelles
- Add the powdered/confectioners sugar to mixing bowl.
- Add butter, softened.
- Next, add the Lemon Extract and 2 Tbsp of milk.
- Beat on low until all ingredients are incorporated, while periodically stopping and scraping the sides of the bowl. Add lemon food coloring (optional) drop by drop for desired color. Once all incorporated, mix on medium-high speed until desired consistency for filling your Pizzelle shells.
- Add the filling mixture to your piping bag or press and start stuffing! I find it easier to stuff one side shallow and then stuff the other side fuller to give an even distribution of Lemon Buttercream yumminess.
Refrigerate before serving. This allows the Buttercream to thicken a bit more and adds some extra “crisp” to the lemon flavor. I hope you have the opportunity to make these for yourself and to share, and would love for you to comment below with feedback once you do!
Looking for another tasty recipe to share? Check out my “Easy to Make Caramel Apple Slices” for a new spin on a popular sweet treat. These are sure to please.